Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Thing 6: Reflective Practice

Thing 3: Image Banks: Correct attribution, Pixabay and Flickr

Description and Feelings/Thoughts:

I found it valuable to read about copyright and the Creative Commons licensing system and the correct formula for attributing the source of images. However, I found the variety of attributions and slight differences between each one, somewhat confusing, so I judged the safest option is to use an image in the public domain that is free to use, such as those on Pixabay.
Flickr is busier website than Pixabay with a great variety of images, which can be easily searched and search results filtered by copyright restriction. I would have preferred not to have to create an account to use the site, 'though I did so, and uploaded an image to my Flickr account very easily. (See my blog post on Thing 3 for the link)

Evaluation and Analysis:

I found the Pixabay website very easy to use and to find, copy and save images, and I copied images into my blog and used a Halloween image on the Wexford Library facebook page to notify the public of our Halloween opening hours. However, the selection of images is very generic, relatively limited, and American-centric, so there is not a great variety of images for Irish-specific topics. I liked that you didn't need to set up an account to use Pixabay.
Flickr has a larger bank of images and greater facility to filter searches of images by photos, people and groups, and by orientation, size, date, colour etc. So if you were using images a lot and were willing to spend the extra time to find an image that exactly suited your purpose, it would probably yield better results than Pixabay.

Conclusion:

In Pixabay, more browse time might throw up more and better image options. I will use it again. It is a useful and 'copyright safe' tool that is quick and easy to use.
Flickr is more social, and being able to follow other libraries is interesting, but I find it a bit like facebook, with a lot of self-promotion, wedding photos etc. Also I could see a lot of time being spent searching for the perfect image on Flickr, when an adequate image could be found on Pixabay for a fraction of the time. It could be a useful tool for promoting library events and stock, but photo permission is always an issue when sharing photos taken of people in the library, particularly when children are involved.



No comments:

Post a Comment